Thursday, September 18, 2008

Math: Solving and graphing inequalities

You solve an inequality as if it were an equation!

For example, 2y + 5 < 13
- 5 -5
Subtract 5 from both sides, and you are left with:
2y < 8
Divide both sides by 2, and you are left with:
y < 4

Now since you still don’t have a definite answer, y could equal lots things, right? You show that by putting the answer on a number line.

What you add today is circle the number on the number line, and decide to fill it in or leave it open. Filled in means it can equal that number, open means it can’t, and you find that out from the inequality sign.

For example, y < 4 looks like <---------------------->
4

The left side is darker because of “less than” and the dot above the 4 is open because your value cannot equal 4.

If you had less than or equal to, you would have had to close the circle because y could be 4.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what to say but I'm just doing my HW

shubie said...

Hey Ms.Simmons...Nothing to say right now, but I get this thing,
and I know that I will get a passing grade on these tests.==]]

Anonymous said...

P.S. that was me Bina on the frist comment

Anonymous said...

Hey





From;David

Anonymous said...

Doing my homework

-Krista

Anonymous said...

heyyyyyyyyyy ms.s how u doin n u know who dis is -lucia

Anonymous said...

hi ms simmns guess who it is and ull never know

Vicky said...

Celebrating my dad's b-day. It was the 20.

Anonymous said...

haaa people try to copy my style but it will never work its me since all that time haaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

8th gd has a hold on mii==II